The Value of My Family

Cheri - Rock Falls, Illinois

When I graduated high school, I intended to continue my education and become a nurse.

Because I did not have any money, I decided to go to work and return to school at a later time. I am now married and have two wonderful little boys. Nothing means more to me than my family.

I had a job that required me to be at work fifty five to fifty eight hours per week. I was always exhausted and usually in a foul mood. I was really too tired to give my boys the attention they need. My husband drives a semi and is on the road all the time. The only day we were home was on Sundays. We were basically paying someone else to raise our children. It broke my heart to hear my son counting and reciting the alphabet, knowing that I was not the person he learned it from. I could no longer live knowing that I was not the one teaching my kids the things I feel they should know about life. I should have been the one teaching them how to interact with other kids, helping them to learn what acceptable behavior is, and what is not. I finally decided that this was unacceptable and I quit my job. I now have the time I need to be with my boys at such an important time in their lives.

This was a very difficult decision, but having a very good support system has made it easier. I come from a large family; I have two brothers and five sisters. They have all been very encouraging and supportive. I sometimes wonder, at my age, what exactly possessed me to go back to school? One look at my children and I have found the answer. And with the support and encouragement of my family, I am getting through it.

A very big part of what holds my family together is unconditional love. I know my boys are going to mess up, we’re human, and we all make mistakes. Nothing that they can do will ever make me stop loving them. Nothing is worth losing them.

I care enough about my children that, even with the economic crisis, I quit my job and have returned school. With the encouragement of my family I will be able to finish my schooling and better my life, as well as my children’s lives. And with the unconditional love that I have for my boys and the love they have for me, I will be able to get through anything. My family is all I need. I will cherish them forever.