Respect vs. Manners

Golden - Dixon, Illinois

People tend to make respect and manners out to be the same thing, but I am here to tell why I believe they are different from each other. Respect and manners give me so many different feelings when I use them separately. I hope that I can have a better understanding of what I am trying to explain here the differences of respect and manners.

Respect is defined in the dictionary as “Esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person; the condition of being esteemed or honored; to favor”. I believe I should respect people above myself because they have more power than me. I should give respect to people that have their own opinion even if I didn’t agree with what they are saying. These are some examples of the usage of respect. If I respect something that means that I understand what something is or I want to be simply polite. To Respect the elders or the people that are above me is very important to do. When I see my Grandfather I always have a big amount of respect for him. I believe that respect is important because it puts another good thing in this desperate world.

Manners are defined, in its many definitions, as “ways of behaving with reference to polite standards”. I need to act in a mannerly way to people that are around me. I should have manners when I eat out in a public place. I should have manners at an interview, especially. One good way to be mannerly is verbally, by saying “yes ma’am”, ”yes sir”, ”thank you”, “you’re welcome”. I believe that these are very important things to say. There are many good reasons to be mannerly but one is that it helps me present myself in public, and for people to think well of me. I almost feel ashamed when I don’t say anything back to someone if they did something for me; that’s how I was raised. My mother and father would always tell me to be mannerly if I didn’t, I would often get in trouble. I believe that using manners calms the atmosphere, eases tension, and lets people be themselves.

I Believe Respect is used more with feelings and manners is used more of kindness of your heart. I hope someday these two will make a difference. Do not get me wrong, a lot of people still have respect and manners for each other but not as much. These things are very nice yet so different in many ways.