Acceptance of Myself

jessica - sterling, Illinois

Acceptance of Myself

In my college years, I have come to accept myself for who I am and not who I thought I wanted to be. This means all parts of myself: my personality, my beliefs, and my physical appearance

My personality comes in play at different places. When I am at school or at church I am very quiet and calm but when I’m with my friends other parts of my personality comes out. When my family goes to parties I can be myself because I feel comfortable around them. I spend the most time with my cousin Alex. Whenever I go to her family’s house they know that we will be up all night laughing. We play pool, which we both suck at, but it’s fun to play because it is guaranteed that one of us will bounce that ball off of the pool table. We laugh about the ball bouncing off of the pool table for hours.

My beliefs are another part of who I am. I go to church and spend time with my family. It’s important to me to go to church. I listen to what the Father has to say and keep them into consideration. I spend as much time with my family as I can. We spend the most time during dinner, talking about our day at school or work. Dinner is the best part of my day because I get to spend time with my family.

I have come to accept myself physically. I am not a small girl. In high school I hated myself because I was not skinny like the other girls. I tried dieting and eating less food. Then, in the beginning of my senior year in high school, I wasn’t eating. I was losing some of the weight but I was getting sick at school. Well my mom found out that I wasn’t eating during the day and only at dinner. My mom and I had a talk about me not eating and that it wasn’t healthy. I realized that I was not going to be a size 5. I thought everyone would like to change something about his or her self. Now, I try and eat healthier and exercise as much as I can.

I have come to accept myself as a whole and love what I was given. My personality is funny and caring; I am now myself where ever I go. I don’t have to hide the way that I am when I go out somewhere. I believe in God and going to church as much as possible. The way that I feel about my physical appearance has changed over the past few years. I have become comfortable with my body. I love my body the way that it is.