A Family With Flaws

Michelle - Rock Falls, Illinois

A Family with Flaws

I believe family should always be there for one another. No family is perfect, although the imperfections are what keep my family together. As in many families, we have our differences, but when it comes time my family can pull together in a united front. A major point in my life in which my family was there for one another was to take care of my nephew.

There was a point in time where my brother had issues with the law and was in jail. During that time his son was taken away from his mother on child neglect charges. This was a tough time for my family. Originally, my nephew was placed in the foster care of his mother’s aunt. A couple of weeks passed and my mother received a call from his great aunt stating that she didn’t have the patience and time that my nephew required and said that either we needed to step up and take my nephew or that the state would place him into the arms of strangers while he needed foster care. So my mother took the necessary steps to become a foster care provider so we would be able to take my nephew. This time was really hard for my family. My mother had my nephew all day long which was a big change. Then I had to be home directly after school so my mother could go to work. I was in about eighth grade when this happened and we had him for about two years. For the most part it seemed like I was unable to do the things other people my age were able to do but that was how my family pulled together to help one another out. During this time my sister would try to help out, after all she didn’t get home from work till about 7pm and she had her own son to take care of. I was glad to except any and all help I could get from my sister on raising my nephew.

This is one of the ways my family pulled together through our flaws and helped each other out. I grew up with my mother teaching the importance of family and believe that without family I would be lost today. My family has been there through thick and thin and continues to be there for each other whenever someone is in need.