The Last One Fighting

Andrew - Colorado Springs, Colorado

Michael Jordan said, “Some people want it to happen. Some people wish it could happen. Others make it happen.” These words speak the truth. Giving up should never be an option. Throughout my years as a high school athlete, I have learned that giving up gets me nowhere. On the track during a race reveals who wants it more. I have spent years participating in track and have spent countless afternoons training and preparing for races. Once that gun goes off and all the runners sprint out of the blocks for the finish line, my mind, body and heart are all in the zone. Towards the end, sometimes I feel like I can’t go on, but I dig deep and don’t give up until the finish line is behind me. This mind set is valuable in life.

Take a look at Martin Luther King Jr. He had a goal for the advancement of equality to all people regardless of the color of our skin. His goals back then were lofty and seemed hopeless. Even when people stood in the way, used violence against him and tried to stop him, he continued on. His efforts started a movement, and even today people still look way up to him. All because he persevered and never gave up. Usain Bolt had a goal of breaking the world record in the 200-meter dash. The previous record holder was Michael Johnson, who had a time of 19:32 that was thought to be unbeatable. Who makes a goal to break the “unbeatable” time? Someone who has desire and will never give up. Bolt ran in the 2008 Olympics and got a 19:30 in the 200-meter dash, breaking the “unbeatable” time. Due to his mindset of never giving up, he reached his goal. Not every one has goals of starting the civil rights movement or being the fastest man in the world, but everyone has goals that mean a lot to them. We all have a point in life when we feel like we can’t go on or we don’t have the strength to continue. At that point one must ask him self, how can I win if I give up? I strive to do the best in every way I can. The last one fighting will always win; never give up, this I believe.