jordan - colorado springs, Colorado

Who’s to say you can’t do something? Family, friends, and authorities. I will tell you this I’m not going to give you some sappy story about believing in world peace because that will never happen. The only peace you will see is the inner peace in yourself.

Growing up I was taught to be my own person, but parents or guardians don’t realize that they are trying to dictate who they want you to be.

I believe in self-reliance, being able to do it not only on your own but also for you. If you can’t take care of yourself on your own you will either be homeless, or if you’re lucky you will end up living at home for the rest of your lonely, pitiful, and meaningless life. In the world there is no “givins”; you have to take life by the horns and never let go, not even loosen your grip.

I may just be a young man of only 18 but that doesn’t mean I have to start at the bottom. By having family does not mean they won’t turn their backs on you; I mean God turned his back on Jesus when he was on the cross. Who says it won’t happen to you? Look at a great man and a great new president in Barack Obama. This man worked to have everything he has now. From coming out of a single parent home to coming through segregation, civil rights, and to being the first black man to run the white house. He has self-reliance, now why can’t we?