I Believe

Josh - colorado springs, Colorado
Themes: setbacks

I Believe

The most incredible miracle I have ever experienced was when my brother drowned. I know that might sound weird, but after reading this it will be perfectly clear how it is a miracle.

It was summer break of 1999 and my parents had been planning a road trip for the family. We were going to go up to Frisco, Colorado for the weekend. It was a long three to four hour drive up there, when we finally got there no one really felt like doing much, so we watched a little bit of television and went to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning my sister had left with some friends to go kayaking, my mom was making breakfast, and my brother Jared came over to me to tell me what the plans were for the day; we were going to go to the pool.

My little brother Jacob was four. He was at his extremely talkative stage and was babbling on and on to my parents about all sorts of different things while we ate. When breakfast was over my mom grabbed some sandwiches, our swimming suits, and some towels and we headed down to the pool. While we were at the pool my brothers and I bugged my dad to play a few games with us, but he wouldn’t, so we just started playing without him. After a few hours Jared and I got bored and decided to go in the hot tub with everyone else, but Jacob wanted to sit by the pool so we let him.

About ten minutes after we had got in the hot tub, my dad leapt from the hot tub to the pool. Jared and I were excited; we thought my dad was finally going to play with us. But then we see him pull Jacob out of the water who was floating lifeless with his face down. My dad was about to begin CPR until a nurse runs over and tells him to wait a minute and try to let Jacob come back on his own first. My family began to pray and my mom called 911, but about five or ten seconds later Jacob started coughing and threw up about a gallon or two of water. We were all crying and started hugging him. About five minutes later an ambulance picked him up and brought him to the hospital where he was flown to Denver for observation by a flight for life helicopter. He ended up being fine and came home a few hours later.

In case anyone was wondering what happened in those ten minutes no one was watching him. Jacob was sitting by the pool when he dropped his toy in the water, he reached out to get it and fell in. He tells me the story of what was happening while he was under water all the time. He and my mom used to play this game where he would go under water in the tub and blow bubbles and then she would pull him out. Jacob said while he was under water in the pool all he was focused on was trying to blow a lot of bubbles so that my mom would see where he was and save him.

This is my story for I believe and this is why I believe in miracles.