Are you or someone you know hungry?

Theresa - Lake Charles, Louisiana
Themes: love

Are you or someone you know hungry?

Mother Teresa said “The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.” I believe love is the most precious fingerprint you can place upon a person. It only takes a moment to exhibit any kind of love. I don’t mean love as most people think of it immediately. I don’t mean you have to go around hugging everyone you see or tell every person you see that you love them. I was in Wal-Mart a few weeks ago looking for a birthday card. You know how that is, you have to read about 50 of them to find just the right one. While I was standing in the greeting card aisle, I heard a man say to a little boy, “we just can’t keep up with mamma today can we?” As they rounded the corner, the little boy squealed with excitement “there she is.” His excitement caught my attention and my attention caught his eyes as we smiled at each other. He was sitting in the back of the cart looking at his mother. He had his head resting on top of his hands that were gripping the basket. His mother was a few feet away. She too had a basket with a little boy in it only this little boy was busy inspecting a toy. Within a few seconds or so, the older child asked his mother why Joey had a toy and he didn’t. She completely ignored him. She didn’t even bother to look up. By this time, the older boy was repeating his mother’s name. Mommy (seconds ticked by), mommy (more seconds ticked by), mommmmy came out of his mouth with every ounce of sadness he had. “WHAT JESSIE?” Once again my eyes caught his and I smiled weakly. He asked his mother once more “why does Joey have a toy and I don’t?” Angrily she replied, “because it is not your special day.” He muttered “it’s not Joey’s special day either” as he sank back down into the basket and balled himself up. It became quickly evident to me the toy was for neither child as she was looking at birthday cards for children. A moment of anger arose in me but quickly turned to sadness as Jessie repeated not once, not twice, but three desperate times “mommy, I love you.” Again, she completely ignored him. I believe that mother not only missed an opportunity to exhibit love to her child, she made him hunger. Hunger for a moment of love he never received.

This incident impacted me because my mother too stole opportunities for me to be nourished by love. She was incapable of loving and so were most of the people around me so I grew up hungry only I didn’t know my feelings were that of hunger. Most people don’t know feelings of anger, immense sadness, loneliness, additions, eating disorders, etc are really a form of hunger. A hunger that I believe is based on love. One by one God put strong people in my life to nourish me, no one dramatic; just patient. I believe love doesn’t have to come in the form of hugs or from the words “I love you.” While it is nice to receive them, sometimes you will make more of an impact with a smile, simple touch, a kind word, a kind look, random act of kindness, or offering help to someone. This list can go on and on. Love doesn’t have to be flamboyant. Remember, fingerprints are often invisible.

Just as I stated earlier, Mother Teresa said, “The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.” How many people do you know who are “starving” to death?