Talk is Cheap, Athletes Are Not

Nick - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: sports

Talk is Cheap, Athletes Are Not

I, like many people have loved sports for a very long time. I have idolized many athletes and wished that I could be just like them. But as I’ve gotten older, I have begun to realize the reality of things. Many of the professional athletes today have become very spoiled and selfish. That is why I believe that professional athletes are overpaid.

When sports like baseball and football were growing in the early 1900’s, the athletes played for the love of the game. Back in the days when their salaries were 1,000 dollars per year at most, and they would wash their own uniforms, they considered themselves lucky. Every man who sets foot on a field and is paid to do so should never complain or refuse a contract. I don’t think that they realize how lucky that they really are. Today, it’s difficult to figure out who is playing for the love of the game, or just the money. Just when I think that a player has class and is living his childhood dream, there will be a news story reporting that they refused a 24 million dollar deal. How could anyone pass up that much money? Whoever is offering this money to them is giving them the idea that they can get more and is expanding their already enormous egos.

Every time it’s the same, I will hear that an athlete has passed up a multi-million dollar contract or that someone has finally agreed on a gigantic deal. When I hear stories like this, it’s like watching Deal Or No Deal. I will shout through the TV to them saying “TAKE THE MONEY!”, and when they refuse I want to throw something at the TV. Why is it that every day, firefighters, paramedics, and police officers save lives, and they may never see more than one million dollars in their lifetime? And yet we still have men turning down money that would make our jaws drop. I know hundreds of people who would accept the money. I’m one of them. I would accept anything to play sports as a career. Every one of those athletes who get their ass kissed by millions and is worshiped by kids everywhere, but only care about the money need to get their lives in check.

Everyone remembers when David Beckham became a soccer player for the Los Angeles Galaxy. He was paid 250 million dollars for one year. ONE YEAR! The guy makes millions of dollars by basically breathing. I don’t care who you are, if you are almost making one million dollars for every day of the year, then you are extremely overpaid.

My idea is this, one by one ask every professional athlete if they love what they are doing. If they say no, then they are only playing for the money, so kick them out of whatever league that they’re in. If they say yes, then pay them 100,000 dollars per year at most. They shouldn’t complain, because they’re playing for the love of the game… right?