Why Worry?

Lauren - Overland Park, Kansas

“Don’t be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin.” This quote by Grace Hansen tells a lot about what I believe is true in life. Life is all about making decisions and deciding which roads to go down and which paths to maybe turn away from. I believe that if you worry and fret that life’s too short or that death may come all too soon, you will never truly begin living. It’s a way of life that people began thinking about many years ago but some people have never understood what it really means.

Ever since I was a little girl, I tried to fit in. I wanted to always be accepted by everyone. I mean that is kind of human nature. I was constantly worried about what others thought and if I was pleasing people with my actions, words and even looks. That behavior followed me into high school. Little did I know it would be dangerous having that thought in the back of my mind.

I was always worrying about the future. I was worried what career I would choose, would I ever get married? Have children someday? Would I keep my friends from high school? Or would I even make friends in college? Would I be accepted for who I was? Or would I have to change myself to have people like me? Every day was full of worries about the future and after years of this it just became physically exhausting. It was draining me to always be worried. I wanted to live my life. I wanted to not worry about my future and just leave it up to chance. My dad noticed one day that I looked worried about thing s and asked me about it. I told him all me worries. He listened intently and his response was life changing for me. He said, “Why worry about the future? Today’s worries are enough. Tomorrow’s worries will come just live in the moment.” It was the best advice I could have received. He was so right. If I lived in the moment, I would get so much more out of life.

I’m still struggling today with worrying too much at times but I think I’m getting better. I still sometime find myself worrying about my future and the things to come, but most of the time, I think about the now. I live to see what happens next. It’s really exciting to do. I can’t make life longer and I can never know when it will end. It solves nothing to worry all the time. I won’t get answers by worrying, I won’t even get hints. Every day is a surprise for me, a gift; and I love opening that gift every day and seeing what is in store for me.