I Believe in Working to Your Full Potential

Kendal - Canfield, Ohio
Themes: work

I believe that people should work to their full potential in whatever they do. I feel that people, no matter what their IQ or SAT score, should do the best work they can possibly do each time they are presented with an opportunity. Not only should people work hard academically, but in their everyday lives. More people should try to be a better mother, sister, or friend. Trying hard may not be necessary for many people because of their natural abilities, but without working to the best of their ability, no one will ever know what great things he or she could have done. Ever since I have been in school, all the people around me have been telling me to do my best work. My parents, friends, coaches, and teachers always want me to perform to my full potential because they believe in me. I can recall a time when I thought to myself, what is my full potential? I remember when I was in the seventh grade I moved to a new school district, and I expected to be placed into the honors classes with the gifted kids, just like I had been at my previous school. To my surprise, I got my schedule that year and there was not one honors class listed. I could not believe what was happening. I… Kendal Malsch, THE Kendal Malsch, was no longer an honors student. I felt bitter and annoyed with this new school and the teachers and students who thought that they were too good for me. I mean after all, what did these kids have that I didn’t, right? The bitterness stayed with me for a while after that first day, until I came to the realization that maybe I had not been performing like an honors student does, and I was just skating right on through on purely my natural ability. The anger I was feeling was not getting me anywhere, instead of making progress I just did the minimum and got by. Then I realized one day that the only way to achieve my goal of reaching the honors program was to work as hard as I ever had and prove that I deserved to be in the honors classes. The hours of hard work and extra studying I put in that year ended up paying off and I reached my goal by once again becoming an honors student. It took this incident to open my eyes to the fact that natural ability can only get you so far, but that in the end it is the hours of work you put in that make you who you are. And from that moment on I knew that my potential was endless. As long as I was committed to doing things to the best of my abilities and striving to achieve my goals, I would always have a bright future. So I believe that people, no matter what their size, shape, or color can always reach their dreams by knowing how to do their best work. I believe if you want to get something accomplished and you put your best foot forward, others will see that and support you. And with a goal to achieve, determination to do your best, and a strong support group behind you, the possibilities are endless…