Enduring Imperfection

Varun - Cedar Falls, Iowa

I believe in imperfection.

Nothing or anything designed by a falible imperfect is ever perfect. The flaws of the imperfect is

reflected in the flaws of the design of that created imperfect and the creations of that 2nd

imperfect will be thus imperfect because the workings of that second imperfect that created the

third imperfect was designed and it’s mechanisms is designed by the failibilty the first imperfect(

a human being) and thus imperfection is forever an enduring cycle. A computer or any other machine

is not perfect it has weakneses flaws that can be exploited or failures that occur because the maker

is imperfect who has failed to make it perfect and doesn’t completely fathom what plato spoke of

as the perfection of everything in heaven. Everything we make is always imperfect because we

cannot ourselves fathom the idea of perfection because things don’t work for everyone all the time.

You see this in everthing computers, grid systems, religous and political ideaolouges and as we have

seen in recent events financial institutions and governments…. This idea is best portrayed in the

movie Space Oddessy 2001 when HAL the ships super computer which was supposedly perfectly

designed without so much of speck on it’s service record suddenly starts to malfunction and kills

everyone on the crew before David is able to turn hal off. Hal was never perfect in the beginning

because he was designed and engineered by a group of beings that is inherently falible, and makes

stupid mistakes. We make find ways to correct these flaws but our own corrections more or less are

never perfect and thus there is always imperfection in everything. But is that what makes life worth living? if everything was perfect life would be boring and uneventful, nothing would test our character, there would be nothing to learn from. We wouldn’t have anything to do because there wouldn’t be anything to fix or improve or for that matter criticize . That is one reason I can’t imagine a afterlife in a heaven. We usually think of heaven as a place that is perfect devoid of anything that might bring us suffering but that for me would be too boring. I would rather live another life time here on earth than to spend even one week in a perfect heaven.