Chanju - University Park, Pennsylvania

In seventh grade, I learned about one of Georges Seurat’s paintings, Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. He used a special technique known as Pointillism. Using dots of pure color, such as blue and yellow, he expressed his emotions and thoughts onto his painting. My art teacher, Mrs. Kim, said, “People interpret the painting in many different ways, but I would say Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte represents us as a whole.?I did not understand what she meant until I became a senior in high school.

In August, 2005, I came to the United States of America as an international student to study English to become a international lawyer. My first journey in foreign country started in Maine as a sophomore. Two years later, I moved to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to finish my study as a high school student. My senior year seemed harder than when I first came to America. There was no language barrier, my GPA was 4.0, but I was not happy at all. I did not know what was missing. During that time, the Spring Music Festival was a big deal. It was my last chance to make an unforgettable memory before I graduated. I practiced playing the piano for at least four hours every day. I recorded myself playing the piano for background music for the play. Six weeks later, I was standing on stage for a rehearsal. However, I had nothing in my hands. The music recording I had made was gone, because my lap top lost the information. Panicked, I ran to my principal who was in charge of the play and told her what happened. She said, “Do not worry, we have recorded music. It will still work.?I was relieved yet very disappointed. I sat on a chair, crying; I could not do anything else. The principal called me and asked me to control the volume of music. I did not want to, but I said yes. Then I realized there were many people involved in the play I did not notice before; some helped set up the chairs for audience, some helped make-up for actors, some controlled lights, and so on. Many students, including myself, were not actors but were still the part of the play. Everyone had a role, working together to make something.

I believe, even though some people take part in small actions, every person in the world can make a difference. Like Seurat’s painting, Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, it takes a world full of individual dots to make a masterpiece.