Remember Your Manners

Emily - Hazard, Kentucky

Growing up from being a teenager until adulthood I never realized how lucky I was. Older people always told me that these were the best days of my life. I didn’t realize how easy my life was. I thought I had problems such as reasons for stress but looking back I was an idiot. Growing up in my family I didn’t have to get a job and partially didn’t want to but my parents thought it would be a good experience. I was open to the idea because I would have money! Money that was mine to spend on things that I wanted.

During the time of my summer work I spent working with my close co workers but when I became part time in my senior year of high school the shock of work really hit me. I began working part time while going to college at a local bank in my hometown. It was a lot worse than anything I had ever imagined that first few weeks with my first job many years ago. I was now working with the public and it changed my life. Working and dealing with the public is the hardest thing anyone can ever do. Being a teller at a bank really opened my eyes to working with the public. When encountering people, their money, and all of their personal issues makes it severely hard to deal with. It is amazing how rude and cruel people can be to workers who deal with the public. However, there are a select few that will really brighten your day. I promise they are out there! Those customers who are patient and kind and really respect you and your job are few and far between.

I now have a great appreciation for those who work with the public and I’m really kind to those whom I encounter no matter the circumstance because I know how it feels. I know how it hurts when people who you don’t even know are mean and downgrade you as a person while you sit there quietly, smile, and thank them for their business. So next time your food is wrong at a restaurant, your bread is smashed at the grocery store, or when someone closes their business because you waited minutes before they closed while it has been open all day to just grab something quick always remember how it felt when you were the one who was working that job.

I see now why my parents thought getting a job would be a good idea. I thank them now because I see a new outlook on life and I appreciate what others do for me and I see how it feels when someone can be rude to you in public. Regardless on the issue or situation, we the people who work with the public don’t get paid enough to listen to your evil comments and mean remarks. Everyone needs to work with the public at least once in ones lifetime because it is a true life changing experience. Don’t ever forget that it may be you one day who is on the other side of the counter. I promise it will change your life forever and for this I believe.