Everything Happens For a Reason

Rachel - Canby, Oregon

I felt so powerful that night behind the wheel of my dad’s new F-350 Kingranch. In my eyes I was tough, independent, wild, and I felt as if nothing could stop me. I realize today my life, and my friend’s life could have been over in the blink of an eye. After that horrifying night I never want to re-live, I believe everything happens for a reason. I’m very thankful God decided it was not my time to go yet.

Only two hours before I was doing what I do best, arguing. I was arguing with my parents about what vehicle I should drive to my High School Rodeo Meeting. The meeting was pretty far away from my house, about a twenty-five minute drive. So I was told to drive my mom’s car to save on gas, the car was a little Honda Accord. After much more arguing and begging my parents gave in to letting me take the new truck. Even though they were very hesitant about the whole idea I was allowed to take the massive, shiny, sparkling new truck. In return I ended up giving my parents an enormous bill to pay.

The rodeo meeting didn’t take very long to get through. A bunch of my good friends who I never got to see that often were there, and we decided to all go find something to do after the short meeting. After the meeting was over my friend Lauren jumped in my truck with me to ride to our friend Whitney’s house, I only had my license for two weeks so we were doing something very illegal at the time. The law was that you couldn’t drive anyone other than your family for six months after you receive your license.

Lauren and I were flying through the dark Molalla hills after the rodeo meeting to meet up with some friends at Whitney’s house. It should have taken us twenty minutes to get there. We were only driving for about ten minutes, and we didn’t make it to her house. The music was blaring as we were singing along to one of our favorite songs, then I just remember Lauren yelling, “SLOW DOWN, THERE’S A SHARP CORNER UP AHEAD!” We screamed at the top of our lungs while the truck hit loose gravel and spun completely out of my control. The wheels were screeching and the gravel was flying through the dark night. My truck was moving sideways while spinning at the same time. All of a sudden it hit the side of the hill and bounced back, I thought it was all over. Somehow it stopped going backwards and flipped over. We hung upside-down strapped in our seatbelts in shock until Lauren screamed, “Get out before it blows!” We crawled out without a scratch.

I just stood there and looked at my dad’s upside-down truck in disbelief. Not only could I not believe what I did to the truck, but I couldn’t believe what was on the other side of the road. There was a five-hundred foot drop off we could have easily flown down if my truck hadn’t stopped rolling back. My knees trembled and my heart pounded in fear, what was going to happen next? I couldn’t say a word. I don’t remember if there has ever been a time when I wanted my parents so bad besides that gruesome night. I ran so fast down the one lane road to the bottom of the mountain where I could find service on my phone. It was cold and lonely, I felt as if I were in a scary movie. It was one of the hardest phone calls I have ever made. I was out of breath and couldn’t seem to get the words out slow or clear enough for my parents to understand. Somehow I gave them directions to my location in the middle of nowhere. They arrived as fast as they could and we headed back up the mountain to the wreck.

The tow truck came and carelessly ripped the truck back onto its wheels. You could hear the windows and the whole frame crunch while it was pulled onto the upright position. The truck looked totaled after the works I did to it, but it looked mangled after the work the tow truck driver did to it. He loaded it onto the bed of the tow truck, strapped it down and we followed in my dad’s car of silence back to my town.

It felt like I woke up from a nightmare, my whole body and my head ached. Normally it takes me fifteen minutes to get out of bed when I’m tired, but this next morning it took me fifteen minutes to crawl out of bed. The next couple weeks were the hardest to get through. I had to deal with rumors and setting everyone straight about the accident. I was a sophomore in high school and in my small town when something dramatic happens people like to talk, A LOT. The worst story I heard about my wreck was that I was driving drunk heading to a party. It was very frustrating! It was even hard for me to ride in another car; I was so paranoid about riding with another driver, or somehow getting in a wreck. I was terrified to drive a car, even six months after the accident. It’s an awesome feeling to feel so secure, safe, and protected in a big truck.

Everything happens for a reason. What would have happened to my life if I drove a little car through all that? Not only my life, but one of my friends lives too. And what would have happened if my truck rolled back further and didn’t flip? We could have been dead at the bottom of the drop off and no one could have found us for who knows how long. My mom told me afterwards she prayed for me and asked God to keep me safe on one of my first nights out alone, and he did. I have learned to be careful with everything I do, especially behind the wheel. The truck was totaled, but I believe it saved our lives. Now I don’t take my life for granted, I try to live everyday to the fullest, but also I realize you can lose it all in the blink of an eye.