Healthier Americans with less coking oil.

David - San Manuel, Arizona

As my grandmother and myself got close to finishing cleaning off the stove and cabinets, she told me that she will stop cooking with canola oil. I do not blame her at all. It is a similar experience for some. The sizzling sound of food frying causes the stomach to growl. I watched the slightest bit of smoke rising from the pan, the aroma of the food coming with it. The knowledge that dinner is almost done. It is easy for several to know this feeling.

However, not many people stop to wonder what comes after the cooking. What comes with several days of cooking this way? To give you some ideas on what we discovered, have you ever tried to clean off of the counter, superglue? Or maybe you have tried to scrub off permanent markers from the wall? If you have you will know what work is put into it. As my grandmother always said, “Put some elbow grease into it.” As she is trying to tell get to work harder.

My grandmother and I spent two days scraping and scrubbing the caked on oil. We did not know how, but the oil that dried on the stove and the cabinets above was like glue. We both were wondering while cleaning. “This is supposed to be the healthiest cooking oil on the market, yet it acts like glue.” My grandmother said. We just wondered what this same oil did in our bodies. Has it too dried and hardened as we’ve seen on the stove?

Everyone is worried about the calories they get out of the oil. Several get the cooking oil that is better for them, or so the company says. It is a scary thought to think that the oil we bought might have glued our insides together. I have to admit, oil makes the food taste great. French-fries tastes great, also tasty stir fry. It also allows easier clean up off of the pans, for it prevents the food from sticking. I can tell you; to this day my grandmother has stopped cooking with as much oil as she use to. She dose use more lard. The food is not as tasty, but it seems to be healthier.