Coaches golden rule!

GT - Eloy, Arizona
Themes: sports

Coaches golden rule!

While I was in high school I played many sports. It was football season and my team was having a great season. It was spirit week and homecoming week, so we had a big game coming up. My coach had one major rule no partying and drinking alcohol during the season. Well let’s just say some players broke that rule. The thing I believe is that sports kept me from getting in trouble. I believe in this a lot. Without sports there is no telling what I would be doing. That Thursday night we had a huge bon fire at the school, we busted up a car got on stage and said what we were going to do to the team we played Friday night. Well it was a fun night after it was over the football team had a meeting and my head coach stated “everybody will go home and stay out of trouble tonight. I will be calling your house and be asking to speak to your parents to make sure. If I catch anybody out they will not play in the game tomorrow.” He actually did call everybody to make sure nobody went out that night. Even though there were some crazy parties going on. The next day was the big game, we had a pep rally during school which the football players were only allowed to stay for a few minutes. The coach did not want any

distractions for us. That night was the big game, we came out and played hard. It was a really good game we wound up winning by a lot which was unusual for my football team. We had a meeting in the locker room after the game we were celebrating and being typical high school kids. The coach calmed us down so he could talk. While he was speaking he had congratulated us on a good game, and that he had never seen us come together as a team and play as one for all four quarters. At the end of his speech he said screaming “IF I HEAR, SEE, OR CATCH ANYBODY DRINKING, OR EVEN AT A PARTY TONIGHT, THEY WILL BE IN VERY BIG TROUBLE. AND WILL BE KICKED OFF THE TEAM IMMEADETLY.” Well the next morning we had practice. We usually start off by watching our game film of that Friday night and go over were we messed up. Well we are in the locker room waiting for coaches to come out and start the film. Well when the coach came out he said “EVERYBODY GET ON THE FUCKING FIELD IMMEDIETLY.” So we all went out to the field. Then my coach starts screaming, “I TOLD EVERYBODY LAST NIGHT NOT TO GO OUT AND DRINK. I GOT THREE FUCKING PHONE CALLS LAST NIGHT SAYING 3 OF MY PLAYERS WERE OUT DRINKING AT A PARTY.” So he called the 3 players out and made them stand on the side line. The rest of the team had to run fifty one hundred yard sprints. The three individuals had to stand and watch while we were running. And during each little break we had he was screaming “ I DARE ANY ONE TO GO OUT AND PARTY AGAIN WE WILL HAVE DOUBLE SPRINTS OF WHAT WE HAVE EACH WEEK.” after every sprint we did I was thinking to myself, why did they have to go break the rules, why are they not running. Those sprints were really tiring. I seriously thought I was going to pass out after the first 10. After we were finished running we had a team meeting. He was telling us how alcohol messed up our body and all the hard work we put into the season. It messes up team chemistry and will mess up our lives. The three players were suspended for two games and the next penalty will be kicked off the team.

This experience has really changed my life. I have drank before but never during season. I did not like the after effects like a hangover either. From this experience I have learned my lesson through somebody else’s mistake. I have always been to scared to take a chance of getting in trouble during sports, because there is no telling what the outcome is. Without my coaches golden rule there is no telling what I would be doing. So this I believe sports has kept me out of trouble and my life on track.