How I Found God

Casey - Casa Grande,az, Arizona

Through my life I have heard many good things about God, not to mention all the negative things also. The question that I hear the most about God would be this famous question “Do you believe in God”? Negative remarks like “If there was God then there wouldn’t be any suffering in the world.” I can remember times in my life when I truly didn’t believe in Him. I had a very atheist out look on the topic of God from when I was little. That was a long time ago for my beliefs have now changed. I believe in God and everything he does.

Since I was a little kid my life has always been filled with the word of God. From the time that I could remember I have been going to church. My mother is a secretary at the church that I attend. She also has been a full-blown believer since her childhood, so attending church services has not been a new experience for my family. My mothers side of the family is Lutheran, and the other is Catholic. Even with both sides of my family believing in God I still have hardly been to a Catholic church mass in my life.

When I started hearing the word of God I was about five. Sunday school teachers tried to teach my class what God was and what he was about. I was told God was something that was invisible, omnipotent, created everything, and watching over you every second. As you can imagine to a five year old that something I couldn’t see was not fathomable to me. The little logic that I had was fighting to tell me that this couldn’t happen. Getting over the fact that I couldn’t see God was the biggest set back to me. My teachers’ words were “ Casey I know it’s hard to imagine it but…just have faith”. I easily had become frustrated with this talk about God and gave up on trying to understand it all. For a good five or six years church didn’t mean anything.

As I grew up the things that my teachers had taught me stuck in my head. Rarely when I was out doing things with friends did God or and thing about the Bible come up in our conversations. When I hung out with friends we did normal activities that teenagers did, movies, go eat, simple things. Then one Sunday everything just seemed to click. Bits and pieces from the pastors’ sermon or what bible stories I was taught all came together. Now I saw how God made earth, man, the stars, everything. This was shocking to me because there was no rhyme or reason for me to just start believing.

Slowly each day things that I never noticed was plain as day. The sun, moon, and people. I realized that God had been helping me get through each day. Life became easier and more fulfilling after I has “found” God. He was there the whole time I just never thought in depth about it. Maybe I was my young undeveloped mind that couldn’t comprehend it all.

Since that Sunday my life has changed. For example when I am feeling down I can look to him for strength to get me thought the day. I can’t truthfully tell you how many times he has lifted my spirits when I was down. Praying each day makes my day go by smoother and worry free. There is a quote that would sum up this thought. You may know the poem “Foot Steps”. It talks about a man that has died and is standing next to God. The two are looking into the sky and watching clips from the mans life go by. God points out the tough times and the easy times. The man noticed in the sand that there are only one pair of foot steps in the hardest times in his life. “God why in my times of need have you left me to fend for myself,” says the man. God looks and says, “In your times of sorrow you only see one pair of foot steps because that is when I have carried you.”

My “I believe” statement is that “I believe in God.” Not through my entire life have I had this distinct feeling about Him. It just kind of came to me one day while I was sitting myself in a church service. If you asked me to prove that God made the earth I couldn’t do it. I still believe and that is because I have faith.