Intangible Magic

April - San Diego, California

I believe serving people is a privledge, a calling, an incredible skill and an unappreciated art.

Serving is not saving peoples lives or helping build homes or teaching the minds of the future. It is often poorly executed by those who should not be serving. It can be an act of love or one for which you pay. It is welcoming and warm and often from a complete stranger. It is when your loved ones visit you when your sick, or when your server fills your water glass when it empties. It is a touch on the shoulder when you look pensive, or hot dinner served to you after a long day of work. It can be unexpected while fulfilling a imminent need.

I believe that those who serve people for a living must have been treated poorly somewhere in our past. How else could we derive pleasure from going to work every day to smile at people who don’t respond, to bring people food for nourishment at the times we should be eating, and to provide the utmost care and comfort to perfect strangers with the goal of making them happy? I believe we do this day after day because pleasing people pleases us; because there is no greater joy than caring for people and making them comfortable.

I discovered at the age of ten that being of service filled that vast void of emptiness that my mother left me the day she comitted suicide. It gave me someone else to think about, care for, and love. For hours every day I get lost in helping other people. Pouring their wine, informing them of an interesting ingredient in a dish, putting them at ease in my space so they can entertain, forget and relax. I do so quietly without a big to-do, which is essential in the experience. Many a days, I have come to work in a bad space, and after serving people, become elevated to peace. I believe that serving people has saved my soul.

Great service is quiet and unobtrusive…it is giving without expectation of return…it is the joy of caring for someone else’s desires. It is the action of giving someone else’s feelings, needs, and judgement more importance than our own. It is uncomplicated yet complex; it involves the knowledge of good manners, with the importance being placed on the fact that manners are to put people at ease, not make folks feel bad for not knowing which fork to use or how to correctly pronounce viognier. Service is the genuine care of someone for a short time or for a lifetime. It is providing a relaxing, invigorating, familiar, new, comforting and thrilling experience. It is listening to unspoken cues. It is bringing someone somewhere new to make them feel at home. It is authentic. It is intangible. It is magic.

This I believe.