I Believe in Laughing at Yourself

Erin - Canfield, Ohio

I believe in laughing at yourself. Since I was six years old, my mother always told me that sometimes in life, or very often in my case, you have to laugh at yourself. I cannot even count the times I have tripped, slipped, fumbled, stumbled, fell, smelled, or ran into someone or something. One time that I really needed to remind myself of my mom’s advice was my second day of high school. My friends and I slowly entered the double doors of the cafeteria. We carefully walked down the three steps leading into the “unknown.” Everything seemed alright until…BAM!, without paying attention, I had accidentally ran into a huge pillar. Quickly, I caught my balance and played it off as if nothing had happened. Once seated I finally let out a chuckle, followed by some giggles and snorts. It was on this day that I learned to laugh at myself and at all the silly things I would eventually do in my life.

The rest of my family, especially my cousins, played a huge part in making me conscious of this belief. Each time my family is together there are several embarrassing moments that take place and I just cannot help but laugh. A perfect example is the time when my cousin Kaitlyn came barreling through her kitchen on a huge bouncy ball, fell backwards, and smacked her head on the tile floor. Frantically, we crowded around to find her in a fit of hysteric laughter with tears streaming down her face. Eventually she exclaimed to us “I’m a klutz and I know it.” It was at this point that I truly recognized the significance at laughing at yourself.

As I mature I realize that life is too short to be unhappy or angry all the time. Yet, at times I think that I am one of very few people that feel this way. It is very rare to get a smile from a stranger. Everyone is so engrossed with his or her own problems and busy schedule that many of us people glance past the truly genuine things that make life wonderful. People are too concerned about looking good and impressing others. Walking around all business-like in their expensive Armani suits with their trusty Blackberry attached to the side of their face. Never letting anyone know if they did something embarrassing that day. Everyone needs to lighten up.

I believe that it is important to laugh. I laugh because I could not find my glasses that were surprisingly on top of my head. I laugh because I spent the whole day with my jean zipper down. I laugh because I walked out in my rubber ducky pajamas for breakfast to find my sister’s boyfriend over the house. I laugh just for the sake of laughing. Even on the very worst of days, I strive not to forget to turn that frown upside down and smile.