I Believe in Santa

James - boardman, Ohio

I believe in Santa Clause. That’s right, Santa Clause. I am in the eleventh grade and I am proud to say that I believe in Santa. This is because Santa has a lot more meaning to me than just some overweight cookie junkie. To some, Santa is the reason why they won’t put gum in their sister’s hair. To others, Santa brings gifts at no cost. But for many like me, Santa brings more than gifts; he brings hope. For those of you who fall into the last category you would be able to understand the stress my family felt during the economic struggle this past Christmas, with our pile of unpaid bills might have outweighing a small dog. Either way, Santa brought us hope that the tough times would pass and everything would be all right. This past year, Santa may have brought hope to a father awaiting a heart transplant or a teen who just would like to see grandma make it one more Christmas. None of these situations are good, but Santa is able to pull through. Although he might not be wearing a red suit and riding in a sleigh. He could be a total stranger wearing scrubs, or a member of our community riding in the back of a delivery van bringing food instead of presents. I believe in Santa because he does exist. He is alive in everyone. And it doesn’t have to be Christmas for him to work his magic. It could be the middle of July when a little girl gets to finally wrap her arms around her dad’s neck for the first time as he steps off the plane from his four year tour of duty. Or a baby born in September to a couple who has struggled for the past five years to have a child.

We all have felt the excitement of tearing through gifts on Christmas morning. The paper. The toys. The possibilities are endless. Everyone has had the Christmas where we only wanted that one thing. Whether we have built our hopes up on a doll or a fire truck. We have also felt the disappointment when we have opened every gift and the one thing we wanted wasn’t there. The feeling as if everything we believe in doesn’t matter as our heart stops and sinks into our stomach. Then why haven’t we given up at this point? To put it simply, there’s always next year. Yes, we feel almost empty on the inside, but we never give up. This is because we still have the hope that things might go our way in time. And in time, they will. Remember that Santa always delivers; he just might be a little late.