Poetry I believe

David - Kings Beach, California

Poetry I believe

I believe in thinking… and I believe in dreaming… and I believe in wondering about all the possibilities that are both real and fantasy. I believe in the power of words and actions and music and art. I believe in starting things and finishing things and figuring things out. When I sit here thinking about all of the things that I believe in, I realize that I believe in a lot of things… and especially the funny things.

Like children and cheerios, home videos, and practical jokes and cats in cardboard boxes. I believe that laughter is the best medicine, and if you can’t take a joke, then I suggest that …you don’t! Laugh at yourself and all the silliness around you. Live and let live is what I believe and if we agree to disagree, then together we have a little something in common that we believe.

I believe in poetry… and I believe in prose… and I believe in fighting the good fight, “its you verses’ me,” so let’s ro-sham-bo. I believe in war… and I believe in peace… Although often times I wonder: “how come we all can’t just get along?” We’re bound by opposites. I believe that my god is not your god and that your god is not her god and that our gods are not their gods and that by god, or no god, it’s a goddamn shame…! But that’s ok too.

I believe in the duality of life, of equal and opposite, of good and bad and right and wrong, this is what gives us purpose. I believe in good manners and being polite. I believe there is no excuse for being rude; we’re all in a hurry, so lighten up and enjoy the ride. I believe in seeking your bliss, more than wealth or fame or importance, find contentment. I believe being comfortable in your skin is the key to success.

I believe in proverbs and fables and clichés like: look before you leap and if you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all. I believe our mothers teach us how to do the right things so we should follow their advice. A wise man once said “your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency for me” so I believe that a change in plans should be a part of the plan.

Accepting all of the things that I believe, along with all of the things that you believe and adding in all of the things that we believe and that they believe, this I believe, is half the battle. I believe in the value of using technique not force and I believe in unconditional love and moreover, I believe that keeping things short and sweet and to the point is of…. utmost importance.

Davy Roy Precit

February 2009