Simple Acts of Kindness

Shelby - harrisonburg, Virginia

When I was younger, I was always told that change was hard, no matter what was going on. It did not matter if it was changing schools, changing towns or even changing you. It was never going to be easy. When we grow up knowing one thing and having set ideas about life and how it should be, we lose sight as to what is most important and we start to become consumed with ourselves and what is most important to us so we lose the ability to see and feel what others feel. I know that when we are young children our parents taught us to play nice, be fair, and be courteous and respectful. Unfortunately, when we grow older those ideas and thoughts get lost, set aside and pushed away to the backs of our minds. We start to develop into a “me” or “mine” type of mind set. Consideration and thoughtfulness take the back seat and pushy, self consumption rides shotgun into life. Now a days, we think first about what we want and where we are going and then look back and think about what we lost to get there.

I feel that in our society today, this is very true, but many are trying to improve and change this. Even if the action is small, simple acts of kindness and goodness can help make that change possible. When you witness an act of kindness or have an act of kindness happen to you, I feel it can slowly start to change you for the better. Goodness and kindness can help build someone up for the better and improve the way they think and feel. These small acts of kindness are all around us and come as a complete surprise when they actually happen. Showing an act of kindness towards someone can also help them to change for the better. The simple act of holding a door or giving someone extra pocket change can make a world of difference for that person. By doing that, you could have changed the way they were feeling. You showed the people around you that kindness is something you can pass on to others and use to change someone’s life or perspective.

I also feel that good deeds have their way of coming back to you and can affect your life as well. This leads in to the discussion of karma. I truly believe that what goes around comes back around. Acts, whether they are good or bad can affect outcomes in your life and your future. I feel that it affects the people you meet and become friends with, your life and job success’s and the environment you surround yourself with.

Knowing that people still show others kindness and compassion helps to change me and gives me hope that others around me can care more than just about themselves and be willing to help someone around them.