I Belive in the Power of a Nap

Justen - Canfield, Ohio

I Believe in the Power of a Nap

A baby cries at one o’clock in the afternoon. He kicks his crib letting his mother know that he is awake and wants to explore the world. A loud television commercial blares on the screen and abruptly startles my grandfather. He folds up the recliner, yawning and then stretches. Both share a wisdom that is seemingly forgotten during the median years of one’s life. They know the power of a nap.

The wisdom of the nap is not just the satisfactory pleasure of catching a few extra Zs. It is a fundamental part of my daily routine. The nap, for me, provides a period of relaxation and the release of stress, those qualities constitute a simplified version of meditation. As a student, I find that a nap is a very useful tool when I am puzzled by that calculus problem or suffering an impassible obstacle of the literary functions. A small amount of time with head on pillow can work wonders for these troubles; providing a refocused and reenergized intellect. As an athlete, I also take comfort in clearing my head in preparation for a pivotal contest. Many sports required the same if not more focused mental capacity compared to physical prowess. A nap allows my mind to rid itself of negative thoughts, preparing a positive attitude heading into heated competition.

The nap exemplifies a peaceful moment in my day where I do some of my best thinking. The comfort of my own resting place provides a place of solitary philosophy where anything can be said, thought, or dreamt without fear of being politically correct. As a result, ideas are free flowing through my mind like water winding down the stream and then arriving at the reservoir of creativity stored in my cerebral cortex. They build up until they are needed for my next piece of creative writing or witty remark garnishing a smirk in a speculative conversation.

In general, I feel the middle generations are primed for a wake up call from the individuals in the early and later stages of life. Closing my eyelids for an allotted amount of time does not mean I do not have a handle on life, nor does it mean I am reaching in the directions of dependence. The nap merely gives an emotional and physical outlet to the stresses of everyday living. When I feel as if life has me by the throat, I wrap myself in a blanket and let subconsciousness overwhelm my body. My nap has remedial powers to which no other process can compare.