A Daily Dose of Laughter

Karissa - La Mesa, California

A smile stretches across the faces of many and excitement bubbles throughout their blood until a warm burst of laughter pours from our lips and fills the air. I believe laughter is a much needed ingredient to live a happy and healthy life. Whether a chuckle in class or the giggles of small children during recess, a laugh released is never unnecessary. I believe if we constrain the sacred joy of a laugh and set it aside for later, life would be no where near being lived. We would be enslaved by stress and seriousness, and the escape would be intricate and complex if another route is chosen. Our secret passageway to escape is to simply have a serving of laughter and happiness.

I believe laughter can cure sadness effectively. During the most difficult times in our lives, where we would crave to crawl in the shadows and be isolated from everyone, is truly when we need to crack a smile and release our emotions for a better turnaround. I remember the moment I needed it the most was during the time when my grandfather passed away from a life of difficulty. I was silent and still as stone when my grandmother approached me that day as his funeral. Although I was dead within and not willing to wear a mask of satisfaction that his time had come, my grandmother started reminiscing about his life. The way she spoke was so positive of whom he was and all the happiness he brought us with his humorous personality that I suddenly felt a spark of happiness ignite within me; I felt better. I let small laughs break free from my cold body and my last memories of him truly were happy ones.

I believe laughter is a minuscule vacation for our emotional souls. Throughout my life I have stressed over school and family the most, to the point where I yearned to hide away to scream and cry into the silent pillow in my room. Although effective at times, my fits would still leave a residue of bitterness and frustration instead of relief. Other times such as my most recent case of “senior -ictus”, I simply paused and frantically dialed my best friend. Immediately, she allowed me to whine for a few moments but then quickly ceased to listen as she changed the subject and brought her embarrassing moments of the day to surface. Just as she predicted, my mood had altered from a gloomy and negative state to one in high spirits with ruptures of laughter coming from my mouth. My friend knew exactly what would scare my “senior- ictus” away, at least for a few weeks, and return to back to my optimistic self.

Laughing, giggling, chuckling, snickering is a top priority when battling the sicknesses of stress, sadness or seriousness. So, get your daily dose of laughter immediately. Ha!