I Am Not Alone, For You Are With Me

Melanie - Wayzata, Minnesota

I Am Not Alone, For You Are With Me

Scary movies are, and will never be scary. This is not because you can spend hours easily convincing yourself that the horrific images you saw in a cinema, are not actually real; instead scary movies will never achieve the sought success of terrifying, because essentially the individual viewer will never be completely alone in their experience. Even if you watch the movie by yourself in your empty house, you are still not alone in terms of the images you have seen, and thus the movie still cannot be truly considered scary. Instead it is the images that are flashed before your subconscious, while you are asleep, that are ultimately the most terrifying. When you awake, it is almost impossible to relay the intense horror to others, without coming off as a coward, who is afraid of events that seem stupid, when described in words, and thus you are alone.

When I was younger I experienced countless horrific nightmares, which were more like night terrors, since when I would wake my covers would be literally torn apart and I would be viciously screaming in my bed. On numerous occasions I would be too afraid to get out of my bed, in order to seek comfort from my parents. I felt alone, like no one could understand the images I saw in my nightmares. I would sit alone in my dark room haunted by shadows and terrified beyond belief. As I became older my night terrors substantially worsened and became more frequent; they actually began to really affect my life when I was not asleep. I couldn’t bear being alone for more then two minutes…I was just too scared.

Finally, at the age of twelve I was unexpectedly confronted with the answer to my problem. While cleaning out the garage one weekend, I found a box, which was labeled “Dick Byrd’s church things.” Inside the box was a pile of framed plaques, pictures, and bibles, which were all heavily covered in dust. As I pulled each article out, nothing really seemed to catch my interest, until I picked up the last framed plaque. For some reason I felt a surge of curiosity to sweep the dust off the top of the frame; underneath lay an extremely faded piece of paper. It wasn’t a particularly nice piece, so I found it strange that it had been framed. In the center of the paper was a small hand written sentence, hand written in black ink, which read: “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.”-Psalm 23.’

The plaque with the psalm made me realize and believe that there is someone who understands, and who shares, my horrific experiences with the images in my nightmares. I believe that although it may seem that I am physically alone, I am actually always accompanied and protected by God. Through my belief I have been able to over come my fear of being alone.