Like a Bouncy Ball

Annie - Medina, Minnesota

Like a Bouncy Ball

Imagine the world without trust. You wouldn’t have any true relationships. When you told your friend a secret, how would you know they wouldn’t tell anyone? A world without trust seems unreal. Without trust, life itself is pointless.

Most young girls are a “daddy’s little girl”, like I was. My dad was different than most. He was never the kind of father who got angry, or made you go to bed early. He was the kind of dad that made you laugh hysterically when you had a rough day. He would let you stay up past your bedtime, just so the two of you could watch a movie and spend time together. He makes time to be with his family, and makes sure everyone always has a smile on their face.

I was six years old, and it was one of our special movie nights. My dad and I were lying on the floor laughing. The next thing I knew my mom was crying, and there were bright, flashing lights outside the front door. I went to the door to see what had happened. Shocked and scared, I knew something was wrong, or a police car, fire truck, and an ambulance wouldn’t be at my house. My mom told me daddy was hurt, but not to worry, and she would be back soon. A cop comforted her, and another talked to my siblings, all of us were terrified and confused. During the chaotic scene, all I could think about was if I would ever see him again. Jumping into the white ambulance, my mom said good bye, and the back door slammed in my face. I stood there watching it drive away with its siren roaring like a lion, a sound that’s engraved in my mind.

Nervously I waited to see when my mom would come back home. Neighbors were always at my house. Being so young I still didn’t know what was happening. Each day someone new would bring us our dinner, and stay and play with us for a few hours. One night my mom finally came home. She explained to us that my father had had a stroke, and he needed to be in the hospital for a while. Just from the word hospital, I was terrified and burst out crying. Life wouldn’t be the same and neither would my dad.

It was weeks later that my dad was finally brought home. He wasn’t the same guy. He was still happy and smiley, he just wasn’t himself. Now there are consequences to him not taking medication or getting enough sleep. He’s grown to be healthy, and I will always be daddy’s little girl.

I believe trust will get you through life. When my family went through this we had to trust each other, the doctors, God, and most importantly ourselves. Trust is something you’ll need through your entire life, it will never go away. You need to trust friends, family, and those around you, but you have to remember others trust you too. We didn’t know what was going to happen, or if he was even going to live, but trusting we got through it…together.

Trust is like a bouncy ball. Sometimes when you throw it, by letting it go it will come back. Other times the ball will run away from you. Once you let it go, and it runs, it’s hard to retrieve it. It will hit walls, get nicked, roll around, and rarely find its’ way back to you. If you hold the ball tightly and care for it, it will stay with you. If you’re careful, trust will get you through life.