unbreakable bond

L - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe siblings have an unbreakable bond. I have learned my brother Rob is one of the only people who will always be by my side. In the beginning, well maybe not that far… my parents planned to have a boy. Luckily for me, when that boy was born they also decided that boy would need a buddy. Not many people can say they were created to be someone’s friend. Lots of kids hate their siblings, hate their families, or just ignore them. Rob and I have been best friends from the start. Nothing will change the history we have had together or the future we will share.

As little kids we explored woods, watched little mermaid, and drove my mother crazy. There was no need for anyone else in our lives. We had each other. I don’t think we believed we would ever grow up or that anything would ever change. Our lives were carefree. We were those perfect little children who sit in front of you at church and hold hands. We were perfect for each other; we didn’t realize what life would be like alone.

In middle school our parents got divorced. Along with splitting up items came the splitting of custody. I remember nights I was at my dad’s house and Rob was at my mom’s house; being alone made it so much harder. After sometime Rob and I decided it was best for us to stay together. The divorced made us so much closer; instead of talking to our friends, we talked to each other. He was my support, so I was his.

Rob and I stopped fighting when I was in eighth grade. Having a friend who was always ready to be on your side made growing up an easier road. In middle school we went through numerous house moves, bad grades, losing games, awkward looks, and a divorce. I can remember being sad, but I also remember Rob always making it better. These days we talk about how our parents’ divorce made us stronger, better people. Without Rob I wouldn’t feel that way.

August 2005, the day before my freshman year, Rob and I talked about the future for the first time. We drove down to the river, sat on a dock, and discussed how fast high school would go, how much we would change, and how we needed to be true to each other. All the things we talked about happened in the next three years. Relationships, drama, sports, and friends made high school together so much fun.

Last summer we spent a lot of our time together. Knowing we would never live together again as kids definitely affected both of us. We became inseparable; we made sure there would be no regrets. We made the most of our last days together. I look at those days as my last days as a little kid. Rob and I share more than the same parents, we have the same memories. I believe we were made for each other. My parents thought they were making a buddy; instead they made an unbreakable bond that will last for the rest of our lives.

Now Rob is in college, and I am planning to leave home in the fall to do the same. I expected growing up to be the end of our relationship. I guess I forgot you don’t break up with your siblings; they are yours for life. Through thick and thin, they are still yours. Plus, I don’t think Thanksgiving would be the same without my brother. I am so fortunate to have a brother like Rob. Best friends beginning to end.