Happiness is the Simple Things

K - Napoleon, Ohio

I have learned that in order to make yourself happy, you must take nothing for granted and enjoy the simple details in life. I believe that happiness is the cure for anything and everything. It can be so contagious. For some, happiness is found in friends and in family. For me, it is not only that but also so much more. Happiness for me is in nature and life. It is so peaceful and fascinating. This past summer, I found myself lying on my porch swing ‘til the wee hours of the morning almost every night. I never grew tired, and I never wanted to leave. I was completely content just lying there and staring up at the night’s sky. Happiness can come from the simplest things that are all around us in our daily lives if everyone took the time. For example, the other day, I drove through town, and while I was driving, I sang along to one of my favorite songs. I was in a terrible mood, but somewhere in the midst of all the stress from that day, I realized at that moment that I was happy. I was truly happy to be in my car and singing that song.

Now, granted that there are some days when people are just obviously not happy. And, yes, we all have those, but I think that if people would look for the positive, something good can come out of a bad situation or problem. Always. By turning a terrible predicament or situation into a better one, it can empower so many people. I believe happiness has so much power. It can enable so many things. Happiness can easily create endless opportunities, relationships, love, and it can bring diverse people together and so much more.

For me, happiness is the little things; the tiny moments that make me feel invincible even if it is just for a short moment. For example, a simple “Hello”, a pat on the back, or even a job well done can turn someone’s day around. I feel that people are responsible for their own day-to-day attitude. I believe that everyone creates his or her own happiness. Everybody should take advantage of the little details and the simple moments that captivate us and take our breath away. Do not take anything for granted and certainly, do not forget the little moments that make you happy. Remember them; enjoy even the minor things in life, and you shall find true happiness.