Music speaks emotions

Jordan - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that music can reveal a lot about a person and help them cope with their day. I say this because music can reveal many emotions and feeling’s a person goes through. In a way music can almost speak for a person about who they are. Some days I feel down, so I typically listen to sad music at first, but then I try to counter it by listening to music that is positive. I have found that music has a strange affect on the mind. Some days when I would come home from school or sports, my mom would be playing piano. My mom plays cheerful music, usually hymns from church. This had an affect on me in a good way. The sound of those piano hymns gave me inner peace, not just entirely a religious peace, but a feeling of comfort in general.

I can remember all the way back to second grade when I took piano lessons. I was sitting on the piano bench, staring at what seemed like hundreds of white and black keys at the time. Other days I would come home and go up to my room and hear my brother playing his guitar. I can remember when I was about 12. I would sneak into my brother’s room when he wasn’t around and play his guitar. After time he caught on to me, but he didn’t seem to mind much. When I’ve had a stressful day, the piano and the guitar seem to ease me, like a person giving encouragement to a friend who is hurt. My dad was a drummer, and naturally, I was inspired to play the drums as well. Drums are great for expressing many kinds of emotions a person has, and a very good stress reliever as well. Drums are not the only musical instrument good for relieving stress though. Different instruments create different effects, and seem to bind themselves to an individual by expressing emotional appeal.

Ever since I was a little kid, music has been very evident in my life and should be evident in many lives. Music is like an addiction, like that fifth cup of coffee someone has to have by the end of the day to keep themselves going. Even if a person doesn’t play a musical instrument, that doesn’t mean they can’t listen to the music being played around them. Music can be another way to speak your emotions and cope with everyday life; for this I believe.