Making Everyone Happy Makes No One Happy

C - 43545, Ohio

I am a seventeen-year-old senior at Napoleon High School, and yet I have been able to see and understand enough to write an essay easily. I have found that many problems in the world all share a common error. I believe that the attempt to make everyone happy results in making no one happy.

I have found, through many situations, this statement to be true. I am what others may call a follower. I don’t do things on my own, and I don’t talk about my problems. What I am good at though is listening to other problems and giving adequate advice. In doing so, I am able to learn from others’ faults and avoid making them on my own. I have learned a lot from one of my closest friends, and especially the lesson I am most fond of learning.

I have known this person for a little over a year now and have become incredibly close to her. It has been a challenge talking to this person lately though due to her problems. She has been raised to understand that if everyone is happy, she will be happy. I am having a great deal of trouble explaining to her that it is the other way around. See, over my lifetime, I have found that it is impossible to make someone truly happy unless you are happy before hand. Now, the girl I am talking about is between two parties who quite resent each other. Understandably she is in a great deal of pain because she wants to keep both of them with her.

This is the exact moment I was able to learn this main lesson. While contemplating her problem I was able to understand something. I found that in trying to make both parties happy, she was indeed destroying herself from the inside. She had troubles doing anything she once loved to do. Confined to her room, she found it almost impossible to make herself happy by any means. One side of this predicament wants her to do exactly what they want and use their pain against her. The other side wants nothing more but for her to be happy, and obviously this isn’t working. She is stuck in the middle, for she wishes to keep the one who wants her happy while making the others happy.

This is why I am telling all who are willing to listen; the only one who truly deserves to be happy is you. Once you have mastered this, you will have the ability to make others happy. The secret is; if they aren’t happy, who cares! You’re happy; they can’t bring you down. This I forever will believe.