Singing is Good for the Soul

Jenny - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe in the beauty of song. I believe in singing.

Ever since I was a child, I have sung more than the average little girl. Singing was my life, even at three years old. Music captivated me and left me with a feeling of rejuvenation.

Studies show that I am not alone. Singing aloud leaves the singer with a feeling of contentedness. Not only are there emotional benefits, but singing also causes a person to breathe deeply, stretching muscles not usually used. Singing with a group of people often raises one’s morale and creates a feeling of well being and belonging.

When I have a bad day, I go home and listen to music. Music calms a racing mind and relaxes those muscles after a stressful day. Differences in the artists’ voices and the emotion put into the lyrics can be absolutely mesmerizing.

Emotion plays a gigantic role in anyone’s life. Sometimes hearing what I may be feeling on a very bad day is enough to brighten me up, knowing that I am not the only one to go through such a thing. There are songs about everything: love, heartache, unrequited love, attraction, death, family, friends, high school, nature, religion, and then there is the occasional comedian who just tries to make someone smile through the gift of song.

It is no surprise that I have been in choir my whole school career. Singing in a group can revitalize the spirit and create bonds that cannot easily be broken. Getting a harmony just right is an extremely gratifying experience. Hearing peers’ unexpected but incredible singing ability is always a great feeling, too. Sometimes, you might be surprised who has a beautiful singing voice.

I cannot even begin to explain the magic one feels at the sound of great music or a gorgeous singing voice. I only hope that people have already experienced it themselves. Sometimes, the feeling is so great I feel like a bolt of electricity has passed through me. Concerts are filled with energy simply because the music is good. It touches the listeners.

The feeling of truly connecting with a song is magical. The magic of this feeling is that it is intangible—just like love and faith. It cannot be described, but it cannot be dismissed because so many people have experienced it. There is something purely out of this world about music. This, I believe.