I Believe in Happiness…

William - Youngstown, Ohio

I believe that people should be happy with what they have. Our society never stops to think. Instead, we are constantly craving the newest and best things. Too many people focus on what others have, instead of focusing on themselves. Sometimes when I see a flashy car pass by or someone talking on the latest cell phone, I often stop and say “Man, I wish I had that.” This is said way too much. Instead, I should be saying “Wow, I am thankful for what I have.” Although I may not have the nicest things, I have at least something special to me that I call my own.

This goes for personal traits as well. I may not always be the fastest or smartest, but I surely am not the slowest or least smart. I should be happy that I am not the worst instead of always wishing I were the best. It is wise to strive to be better, but not at the expense of my own happiness. I try to not get caught up on others, and lose focus of my own self-worth and personal growth. This is indeed good advice, but advice that even I fail to follow at times.

It is human nature to feel jealously and greed sometimes. It is also too common to lose perspective of what is truly important in life. For example, as a seventeen year old, I would like a luxury car, even though the car I have now is more than adequate. While at the same time, I know there are single mothers who worry how they will feed their children dinner. When I truly think about it, this luxury item pales in comparison to the necessity of food. I have lost perspective on what life really is about. Instead of dwelling on a new car, I should be grateful for what I have and seek ways to help others. I should remain focused on what is special about me and share it with the world. Although human nature allows us to feel greed, it also gives us opportunity to feel the true happiness from helping others. The flashy car and expensive cell phone only provide us with a “shallow” happiness. This is quite different than the deeper happiness felt through making someone else smile by sharing myself and what I have. Being happy with myself allows me to focus on helping others. This is true happiness.