B - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that people should always follow their dreams even if the odds are against them. Life is too short to not go out and live your life and have fun. My grandpa has always been supportive of me and encourages me to follow my dreams. He doesn’t want me to end up like him; still working a factory job, living paycheck to paycheck, when he should be retired. Like many grandpas, he’s told me stories of his child and early adulthood. There’s one story that really sticks with me that he uses when he refers to how I need to live my life and follow my dreams. Back in his 20’s, my grandpa wanted to be a pilot; he went to flight school and was well on his way to living his life’s dream. Then one day, he had to take a physical examination, which he failed due to something involving his eyes. All the time he had spent learning and practicing went to waste. Later, he found out that he could have continued his lessons and became a pilot because what was deemed as a serious threat and safety hazard could have easily been fixed. My grandpa never got to fulfill his dream of becoming a pilot; he let something get in his way and discourage him.

Not too long ago a friend took my grandparents up in a plane and let my grandpa fly; I don’t think he ever felt freer. He came back and told me how good it felt to fly again and how he wished he would have followed his dream. Through my grandpa’s stories and support I know that I should always follow my dreams even if the odds are against me.

This belief of mine is somehow involved in everything I do from sports and musicals to academic work and church. I go out and follow my dreams, and I do what I need to do to achieve those dreams. Even though it is difficult, I try not to get discouraged when there is an obstacle in the way. It also affects friends and family around me because I encourage them to follow their dreams too. I strive to help them achieve their greatest potential and whatever they feel that they need or want to accomplish. I am there to support them when they get discouraged or frustrated. This belief has the potential to bring people out of the gallows of life and let them live an unregretful, exciting life. If people did not follow their dreams, we would have never landed on the moon or climbed Mt. Everest. I believe that people should always full their dreams and never get discouraged or quit.