Hard Work Makes A Goal Easier

B. - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that true hard work really does pays off in the end, even on the soccer field. I have lived by this my whole life; it is something that my parents taught me growing up and my coach has taught me since the beginning of my freshman year. My high school soccer career has put how much working hard helps into perspective for me especially my junior year. My soccer team made it to the semi-finals in the state tournament as the true underdog last year. We knew we would have to work hard to be able to make the state tournament and that is what we did.

In the district finals we played a team who we had never scored a goal against, let alone beaten. Everyone said we were going to lose because they were stronger, faster, and all around better. The problem was that the team believed that we could win this game. We went out and played one of our best games all year and scored our first goal against them. We won the game and the first ever soccer district championship in my high school’s history.

In the regional finals we played one of the best soccer programs in the state. We went into the game as huge underdogs, but we knew we could play them tough. The first half ended with both teams scoreless, but both teams had many chances to score. We were getting beat most of the second half, until our hard work paid off we got a free kick from about 30 yards from the goal and the ball bounced off the ground and went into the goal to tie the game. Then with three minutes left we got a break away and my teammate crossed me the ball and I was able to finish the ball for the game-winning goal! The game of soccer has really taught me that hard work truly pays off.

That season taught me that if I truly work hard and do my best that it would pay off in the end. My coach taught me this at every practice and game. We would work hard so that we could fix our mistakes. I have lived by working hard and try my best at anything I am doing so that I can get better whether it be school or something else I need to fix. It is hard to work at something someone does not understand or is not good at but it is something that should be done to make someone better. Working hard is something I live by because hard work can only make someone better, even if it is a small difference.