I Believe

A - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: forgiveness

I believe that everyone deserves another chance, even when it seems as if they do not. When I was in kindergarten, my brother, Ross, wanted to borrow my favorite toy. Of course I said no because it was my favorite toy, and anyways I was going to play with it myself. After I had already said no, I got up to go to the bathroom. When I came back, my toy wasn’t there, so I searched for it looking everywhere one could possibly look. Finally, I gave up and went to tell my mom that it had disappeared. She came and helped me look once more and we came to the conclusion that either I misplaced it or someone had taken it (and in the Evers’ household it was definitely stolen because we have some people that aren’t that honest). We questioned my siblings, but they denied taking it; Ross was the first.

I did not find my toy until about a year or so later. I was in my brothers’ room and I was looking at Jeremy’s little toy cars—I was fascinated by all the different colors of the cars. That was when I came upon a worn out, faded and familiar toy… broken in half. It was my toy.

I wasn’t sure which one of my brothers it had been, but then I saw Ross’ face when he saw me holding the toy. I ran up to him and just chewed him out. Halfway through shouting at him, I remembered a Bible passage that my dad had told me a story about. It was something about forgiving. Somewhere along the lines of forgiving one person seventy times seven. Those who know my brother know he is going to mess up and sometimes make the wrong choices, but I’m still going to love him no matter what. I realized that yelling at him wasn’t going to repair my beloved toy that I had loved so dearly. So I started apologizing. I apologized over and over, and told him that I forgave him for what he had done.

Now whenever someone hurts me, I try and move past their wrong doings. I forgive them, even if my conscience is telling me not to. Like my parents, every time I do something wrong, they forgive me because they love me and it’s the right thing to do also because everyone deserves more than one chance. This experience made me realize that everyone deserves a second chance, and that we’re all prone to bad decisions. No one is perfect, and my brother helped me understand that.