Life is a competition

J - Napoleon, Ohio

Competition is a rivalry between individuals, groups, nations, or animals for territory, a niche, or allocation of resources. It arises whenever two or more parties strive for a goal which cannot be shared. I believe life is a competition. Everyone in the world is competing for something whether it be getting into college, competing for a job, or even competing for the perfect girl/boy. I know through my experience, I am competing with all my friends. Whether it is on the basketball court or baseball field, I am competing for a position to play. If people thought about the word competition seriously, they would have many conflicts or ideas come to mind. My experience has brought me a lot of pain throughout my life. My grandpa was very sick and was trying his hardest to stay alive. My grandpa was competing with God to stay alive. I know he tried his hardest, but in the end, God won that battle. Competition is not always physical, it could be emotional too. During the funeral, I noticed my dad was competing with his emotions. I have never seen my father cry that much in my entire life. His emotions got the best of him as well as the rest of my family. Competition is happening everywhere, whether we realize it or not.

Competition has many other names as well: Rivalry, race, struggle, opposition, war, antagonism are some words that are the same as competition. Our country is going through competition. We are competing for oil, food, and land. This has affected me as well as the rest of the country.

I believe that no matter what any person does, their life is going to be a competition. I believe competition prepares me for adulthood because when I become an adult and live on my own I will have many obstacles that I may face. I know I will not be able to win them all, but what I learn from each outcome will help me get past the struggles I will face in the future. After my grandpa passed away, I learned that not everyone wins. I have to make the best of my life now, so if somewhere in the future I am competing for my life to live the best life I possibly can.