How my brother changed my life

N - Napoleon, Ohio

Day in and day out we pretend as though life is no big deal. We act as though we can live forever and that we are immune to death. Taking life for granted, unfortunately, is something that most people do. Though I may be young and at of the age when people see me party. I have come to realize that life is something that should not be tossed around like some sort of ball.

Yes, I had taken much of my life and the life of others around me for granted and didn’t fully realize how precious and great life is. But, when I first realized that my life is not just some foolish game, it hit me, and it hit me hard.

A few years ago on the morning after my birthday around 3:30 a.m., I was told some bad news. I was hanging out with a few of my friends who were at my birthday party when I heard my dad talking on the phone. At first, I didn’t know or even care what was going on, but I would later realize what had happen. I heard my dad get really mad at first, but then I could tell that he was also kind of scared. I thought that my older brother had just got in trouble for something stupid like usual, but the news I got when I woke up was far from what I had thought from the night before. My dad told me that my oldest brother had gotten into a really bad accident. When I heard that, I was scared, but I wasn’t sure how bad it was. Later, I found out that he had rolled our trailblazer three times. The more I heard, the more scared I became. The worst and best thing I heard was that he probably should have died: The worst because I realized how serious the accident was, but good because he survived it.

Going from one extreme to another, I now have a new sister who is living proof why life is so great. She has revealed to me one of the greatest things about life, and that is the beauty of a new life.

As my life continues, the only thing I can hope for is that I can help change other peoples’ life by showing them that in any instant life can be taken from them. I believe that there are games in life, but life itself should not be taken as a game.