Lessons From Hunting

R - Napoelon, Ohio

All I ever really needed to know I learned… no, not in kindergarten, hunting. All the lessons that apply to life also apply to a hunter. My father started taking me hunting at an early age. He taught me about the woods, the animals, and the life around me that most people do not even notice. Most of all he taught me how to hunt and be a successful hunter. He told me that hunting is a game of patience, and everything can be learned from patience. This is why I believe that everything I need to know, I learned from hunting.

I have spent most of my life in the woods, waiting, and waiting for that one moment to present itself that I will remember forever. That one moment could be harvesting the buck of a lifetime or watching a fox walk through the woods. No matter what that moment is it takes patience to experience it. Just like in life, a person has to wait for an opportunity to present itself. All that time waiting pays off and benefits follow.

Hunting has also taught me about discipline. Nothing sucks more than sitting in the woods for five hours and not seeing anything. Then, after all that waiting, the buck of a lifetime walks by, and a shot never presented itself. All that time and effort did not pay off this time, but next time the reward could be three times greater. Just like in life, sometimes a person has to let some opportunities walk by in order to get a better deal. Knowing when to act and when to pass can make the difference in what a hunter takes home, and how far a person makes it in life.

The most important lesson that hunting has taught me is that life is not always fair and predictable. During the time I have spent in the wild, I have witnessed some events that do not seem fair. Like when a coyote kills a newborn faun; a faun that was just introduced to the world only to be taken away and never experience life. Events like this bother me, even sicken me, to a point that I want to do something about it. However, there is nothing I can do because it is all part of life and its plan. Life can seem harsh at times, but in the end everything works out, and people move on. This lesson is one of the hardest to understand, but because of hunting, I know why life can be so harsh. Hunting has taught me everything I need to know in life, and I am who I am today because I hunt.