L - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that all people should perform random acts of kindness. With billions of people on this earth, it often leaves people to ask, “Do I really matter?” Last summer, I was on vacation in our nations capital, Washington D.C. with my family and a good friend of mine. This was the biggest city I had visited in a long time. My parents were trying to figure out how to purchase a subway pass. During this process, we became very confused until a stranger came and helped us out. The tall businessman saw that we were having trouble and paid for our passes with his own money without us asking. He came over gave the passes to us and said, “ I could tell it was the first time here and that we needed some help”. We gave him our money, and we went on our way. That little act of kindness put me in a good mood the rest of the day. I know it’s meaningful when a person’s grandmother or even a person’s mother says, that an individual did a good job or help that person in some way. As odd as this sounds I think it means more when a complete stranger does it. A stranger doing that act means that people really care about people and that everyone really matters. That man on the subway could have been like everyone else that day, but he decided to help. It is important to realize that everyone’s day is important to them in it’s own individual ways, and if people can take the time to realize this and maybe help another person make that day great, then they should do it.

Everyday at school no matter how busy I am, I always say hello to our janitor as I’m leaving my fifth period class. I think she enjoys the little five-second conversation and it brightens both of our days.

Every person is created differently and has different backgrounds and feelings toward things. The sooner we start acknowledging a person for who they are and respect them is when we can live in a much better world. Through understanding, fear is limited, dark alleys become lit, friendships are born, and life is so much sweeter.