I Felieve Life is an Uphill Fight

M - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe life is an uphill fight and that once you persevere and reach the top, you will be greatly rewarded. Many people face hardships in life and some don’t always come on top of the problems that occur. People don’t get to see the wonderful outcome of life if they don’t put in the work that is needed to succeed. I’ve heard stories of people who go through very hard times such as growing up in a house where abuse takes place. These people go through the hardship of growing up in a tough environment. Many of them then grow up to become very successful people. The only way their dreams were possible was by getting through the uphill fight and making the most of their lives. This makes me think that since my life is already in a good place, I should also be able to make the most of my life and try hard to get where I want to be in life.

My parents always told me, “Never give up. When times get hard, keep going and you will get your reward.” This is true for me in both athletics and academics. I have always had to work extra hard in sports because of my small size. However, when I became libero (the person who is considered the best back row player) my senior year in volleyball, I felt I had truly gotten my reward for giving that little extra push. Also, in track, I was part of the 4×1 team and made it all the way to the regional track meet my freshman, sophomore, and junior years. Maybe I made it one meet farther than most because I got through the hard practices and never gave up. In academics I have always been lucky enough to pass by with an A without much studying at all. However, when I got into high school I had to start working extra hard because it was more difficult to excel than in grade school. This all paid off for me my senior year when I got a 27 on my first try taking the ACT.

When I look back at my high school experience, I think mostly of that little quote my parents told me that gave me that extra push a lot of people don’t have. Some people think that if they do not try, things will just automatically turn out good for them. They then get really upset when the situation turns out bad. Maybe if their parents had told them what my parents told me, they would also try a little harder to get the reward at the top of the hill.