Change of Mindset

Courtney - Houston, Texas

As an innocent child, I faced an issue that poses lasting effects on all its victims, also known as bullying. Many nights I came home crying and my mother attempted to console me by simply encouraging me to possess confidence. Over time, I learned to overcome the spiteful words of others, which shaped me to be the young adult that stands proudly today. I believe people only have the power to do what you let them. In other words, individuals choose the battles they fight.

I attended five elementary schools, each of which left me with memories. When I entered 2nd grade, my school relocated therefore I had to transfer to another one. This transition was one of the hardest for me because coming from a private school, I was used to a conservative environment where everyone was close. Public school was quite the contrary. I remember my first day in 2nd grade at the new school. The teacher introduced me to the class and a boy said, “Eww, black people stink.” Everyone snickered. This was my first recollection of many denunciatory comments I have encountered in life. I am the type of person that tries to make peace instead of preparing my soldiers for war, therefore when people say and do hurtful things it breaks my heart. One day while doing arts and crafts in class, I heard a long piercing noise that sounded like the shredding of paper. With humiliation seeping to every crevice of my face, I looked down to see a chunk of my hair on the floor. The girl behind me laughed with her friends as I sat there with tears flowing down my flushed cheeks. Soon after, my mother transferred me again but I still faced the same issue throughout middle and early high school years.

Growing up without my father may have been the key source of my melancholy. He too, defaced my soul with his actions and words. Although we have never formally met, I talked to him once on the phone as he told me to never call him again. Through the years of adolescence, I progressed to a matured mind state, ignoring the foul comments people said to me. Although there are some who try to define my capabilities at an inferior level, I also have several close friends and family members who surround me with positive words. The main difference been the past and the present is that now I realize that my future is destined for success and people who attempt to bring me down only make me work harder to prove them wrong. Carrying the torch of victory, the battle has been won because I believe in myself.