Chuck - Duncansville, Pennsylvania

This I believe; the three most powerful words in my life are “Make It Happen.” I apply this simple phrase to any project or goal. Saying “Make It Happen” eliminates negative thoughts and focuses me on the task at hand. By consistently applying this phrase I have accomplished many things in life, large and small.

Let me explain how “Make It Happen” became the most meaningful phrase in my life. I had just graduated from Penn State with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, and I was searching for my first TV job. The search was not going well. The job market was tough, and the rejection letters were piling up. I was grousing about my predicament to my Uncle Carmen, who was visiting my parents’ home in Hollidaysburg. Uncle Carmen looked me in the eye and said, “If you want to be a TV reporter, make it happen. Nobody’s going to do it for you.” At that instant I had an epiphany — my life was in my hands, and my hands alone. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, I sent out more resumes, made more calls and eventually landed a reporter/photographer job at a TV station in Erie, Pennsylvania. The start in Erie took me to a station in Michigan where I rose up the ranks from reporter to assistant news director. I wanted to run my own newsroom, and I made that happen too.

On the lighter side of “Make It Happen” I learned to fly an airplane, became a licensed paramedic, and earned a second degree black-belt in Tang Soo Do. I even got certified as an aerobics instructor. My latest endeavor on the lighter side was to learn to play guitar and form a rock band!

On the larger side of “Make It Happen,” I have launched three business ventures. One never got off the ground. One pushed me to the brink of bankruptcy. And one clicked — the venture that I started with two partners and only $6,000. That venture, Newsroom Solutions, now has 15 employees and sales in the millions of dollars.

Most of my “Make It Happen” accomplishments have been professional, but the mantra has worked in my personal life too. My first marriage ended in divorce…I wanted a second marriage that would last and to have more children. To “make it happen” I went to a personal counselor. He helped me identify the type of woman who would be compatible with me, a divorced workaholic with one son. First, I learned that a teacher or nurse would be best. I knew I could make that happen. Next, it was important to date someone through all the seasons. I’m not very patient when I find what I want, but I could also make that happen. My wife of now 19 years is a registered nurse. We dated though all the seasons too, and I think it was day 366 that we got married. “Make it Happen,” the best three little words next to “I Love You.”