I believe people have to make mistakes in order to learn in life

M - Napoleon, Ohio

I Believe People Have to Make Mistakes

in Order to Learn in Life

I believe people have to make mistakes in order to learn in life. Everyone in this world is human; therefore, they all make mistakes although some people’s mistakes are far worse than others. Then, there are those people who seem like they never get into trouble; therefore, they will never learn in life. I have made many mistakes in my life, but one that was far worse than any other. I happened to be in the wrong place, with the wrong people, at the wrong time.

In the beginning of my freshman year of high school, my family moved to Ohio after evacuating from our home in Louisiana prior to Hurricane Katrina. It was a very difficult time for me. I was the “new girl” who didn’t have very many friends. When I was asked to sleepover at a girl’s house one Friday night, I immediately said yes because I thought this could be my chance to make some friends. Little did I know, this girl was about to reak havoc in my world. I will remember that night for the rest of my life. We snuck out of her house, drove to another city, and picked up three guys there. Immediately, I felt that these guys were bad news, but I decided I’d try and fit in. They had brought alcohol into the car, and my friend told me to take a sip of it for her since she was driving, so I did. A few minutes later, one of the guys threw trash out of the window, not knowing that a policeman was behind us. He immediately turned his lights on to pull us over. I was frantic because I knew I had consumed alcohol, but I didn’t think it was enough to get caught. I was charged with underage drinking that night and ended up spending the night in a juvenile detention center. I was shackled, strip searched, and quarantined to my room for the eight hours I was there.

Being in that horrid place has scarred me for life and made me not want myself, or anyone else for that matter, to ever be in the situation I was in. I was just the new girl who was pressured into doing something by someone who I thought was trying to be a friend. As weird as this may sound, I believe that it was a blessing that I was caught that night. It has taught me a valuable life lesson that I will never forget, and I hope to try and stop someone from making the same mistake I did. From this mistake, I learned to choose my friends wisely and not to give in to peer pressure. Regrets, maybe, but a lesson learned. I believe I will continue to make mistakes in my life; therefore, I will continue this life-long process of learning.