I Believe in Opportunity

E - 43545, Ohio

I Believe in Opportunity

I believe in opportunity. I am not a foreigner coming into our country looking for a job. I am not a man who has been in jail and is now looking for redemption. I am your average eighteen-year-old kid. I go to high school, I have a wonderful girlfriend, I have many friends, but not everything goes my way. I played football and baseball throughout my high school career. I have been cheated out of sports, people tell me because I am short.

Maybe I am biased, but my problem in football was that the coach’s son played the same position I did. . . hello—who do you think got to play? In baseball my coach held a personal grudge against me because I wouldn’t let him push me around, and now because of him, I have left game I loved and I was successful at. Maybe I shouldn’t have thrown in the towel and given up so easily.

However, I said in the beginning, I believe in opportunity. No matter what your last name is or where your father works. My dad has worked in different states my whole life, but my family and I have stayed in one town. He told me that you don’t find as much favoritism in the big cities as you do in small rural towns like in mine. I hope once I am done with college, I can move on to a bigger place and make a name for myself. High school is such a short time in everyone’s life. No one will remember if I played sports or whatever my achievements were. My dad has stood up for me in all my struggles, and I know one day. I just wish I would have my opportunity. Everyone deserves at least one chance whether it’s on the playing field or in the work force. Whether you’re short, ugly, poor, or unpopular, everyone needs an opportunity.

I thank God that I will have opportunities once I get into the real world. I just have to hold on, believe, and not let society’s jerks get in the way of my hopes and dreams. Hopefully, one day a community will accept me, but it’s going to be a hard long road in front of me. I have to continue to believe in opportunity because when opportunity presents itself, I must be ready.