The Small Turning Big

S - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe little things make a big difference. For example, two small words such as “Thank You” can mean the world to someone. Have you ever received a thank you from someone for something that you did? Do you remember how good that made you feel? Saying these two small words makes both the person who said thank you and the receiver of the thank you feel good. It also expresses gratitude for what the man or woman who said thank you did. Gratitude may be for helping someone, giving of time, money, or just being there to listen. Most of the time, whoever says thank you, does not expect to get a thank you in return for what they did.

Another example of something little making a big difference would be taking the time to talk to an elderly person. It means so much for someone in the nursing home to receive a visit from someone. I have visited several people in the nursing home, and each time I go, I feel a sense of pride because I know I have made a difference in someone’s life. Seeing a smile come to their face is so gratifying. I also find I learn new and interesting things when I talk to them. This visit does not cost me anything but a little of my time.

Just being there to listen to someone who needs a friend or someone to confide in also makes a big difference in someone’s life. Have you ever known someone who felt like no one cared about him or her, and did not know what he or she was going to do? I have. When I notice someone who seems to be down in the dumps, I go and try to talk to them. I may start out joking, trying to get them to laugh, but then I find out if there is anything I can help them with. I also try to find out if they just want someone to talk to or just someone to listen to them. Again, talking and listen do not cost anything. It just takes a little time and understanding.

As is evident, my belief that little things can make a big difference is true. Little things can be as simple as saying thank you, visiting the elderly, or taking the time to listen to a friend that needs a caring ear. None of these things are hard to do. Most of them just take a little time. This little bit of time may only be a few seconds and does not cost anything; it is free. So, do as I believe, and do the little things to make a big difference in someone’s life.