A - Napoleon, Ohio

I have learned that it is better to be yourself rather than trying to be how everyone else expects you to be. Everyone needs to realize they are unique in their own way and that is why their family and other people close to them love them. There are good and bad features about everybody, but still I believe people are more beautiful being themselves rather than acting fake or like someone they aren’t.

In today’s society, I understand that some people are judgmental and look down upon minorities or people who don’t “fit-in” well with others. However, everyone is unique, and they should be themselves whether people like it or not. For example, a girl in my senior class has been unique all through middle school and high school. She may be mean sometimes, but that is only when people give her a reason to be. She loves to wear many different styles of clothes and shoes. The students at school have become accustomed to her way of life and now accept her. She is a great example of a person being herself and not caring what other people may think of her.

When I was in middle school, unlike the girl previously mentioned, I always wondered and cared what other people thought about me, so I tried to be like my friends because it seemed like many people liked to hang out with them. I admit, I sometimes did stuff I won’t do now that I know who I really am.

The middle of my freshman year of high school, I realized all of my friends and others around me were changing. High school helps people realize who others really are. As people change they find different friends who will be true to them. As children mature in high school, I believe they finally realize who they really are. They stop being a person someone else visualizes them as and start being their true self.

Being a senior in high school I finally accept that my body isn’t perfect and I’m not perfect, however, is there anyone in the world who is perfect? I am happy being myself and knowing my friends and family love me for whom I am not because of the way I look or how I act. Hopefully, someday all the people in the world will realize they are beautiful inside and out no matter how people judge them or what anyone says about them.