T - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that no one should give up his or her goals or dreams. Any person can achieve what they want to if they work hard and do not give up. This winter, I did not want to swim due to not achieving my goal of making state last year. Also, this fall I hurt my shoulder during water polo season, which also made me not want to swim so I would not be hurt for softball season. The day before mandatory practices started, my coach told me to not have high expectations for the season. When I heard that, it made me want to achieve my goal from the previous year. My goal this year, my senior year, is to at least make state on a relay, and I would be really thrilled if I made it in an individual event also.

Everyday my goals make me want to work harder so that I can achieve them. By going to two practices a day, I feel that I am in good shape to achieve my goals. Everyone should be allowed to achieve their goals if they want to. By setting goals, it makes me feel better about myself, and once I achieve it, I will have a great feeling of excitement. I also talk to many people about my goals, and by doing this; it helps relieve stress that may build up.

One thing that I think happens when I set goals is that it will help me become a better person. Setting my goals is a good thing to do, but I have to remember not set them too high so that I will not reach them. Setting short-term goals will help me reach my long-term goals. I have set many short time goals that deal with my times for the two main events that I swim. My long-term goal is a time that I want to achieve to go to districts that could help me move on. Another goal I have is to make a relay. My coach has made us write down our goal times and what we want to achieve. By doing this, I think it helps him understand what we want to achieve and how to prepare us mentally and physically for the bigger meets. By not giving up on goals and dreams in life, a person can achieve a lot more than he or she could by not trying at all. I will not give up on anything that I would like to achieve or accomplish in my lifetime.