M. - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: love

Love is blind. Love can make the most mature and reasonable person completely naive. It can make someone believe just about anything. Inevitably, one thing someone wants to hear from his or her significant other is, “I want to be with you forever.” What is forever anyways? Does it really exist? Can someone be completely devoted to one person for the rest of his or her life and beyond that if that’s what you consider forever? I don’t really think forever really has a definite explanation. There is no way to perfectly describe it. So, even if there is such a thing as forever, I am not too sure that relationships, promises or anything for that matter can last that long. I believe that nothing lasts forever.

It is quite depressing to think that this is really how life is, but it seems more realistic than other explanations. Thus far in my life, nothing has stayed the same. My looks have changed, my friends have changed, my boyfriends have changed, the way I am treated; the list is dreadfully never-ending. It could be simply because I am a teenager and this is the supposed transition period in my life; despite that, I still strongly stick to my belief that nothing truly lasts forever.

People could try to argue that some marriages last forever, but I don’t believe that. The couple may never get a divorce, but is their relationship really the same as it was when they first married each other? I highly doubt this. People change. Their personalities are altered by their surroundings and what happens to them. One major event in someone’s life can completely change their outlook on life, changing their relationships with everyone in their life.

I suppose going through the changes of life can teach you a lot about yourself and others. Without change, people would probably become bored with what they have as well. Therefore, I’m not saying I am entirely against change. It can sometimes be a good thing when the timing is right. The trouble is finding the perfect time and place in your life to change something that could affect the rest of your life, which unfortunately does not happen too often.

Call me pessimistic. I do not care. I have seen enough thus far in my life that proves my belief to be correct. I have a lot of life left to live, and maybe something will happen to change my mind, but for now I believe nothing lasts forever.