This I believe

M. - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so. Not enough people in the world are optimistic. There are too many pessimists. Things happen all the time. Sometimes people get hurt in terrible accidents, and sometimes people win a lot of money in the lottery. I try to think that everything is good to make me a happier person. For example, someone that won the lottery would be happy to win a large sum of money, but someone who did not win might not be happy for him or her and think that it is bad that he or she did not win. I would try and be happy for the person who won the money. I try to think good thoughts about everything.

For example, I fell off my bicycle five years ago in the summer by being careless and riding with no hands; I broke my wrist and was not allowed to play football in the fall. I didn’t find my accident bad though. I thought of it as learning not to be so unfocused when I do something. Also, I’ve sprained my ankle while at water polo practice, and I missed several games. In practice I took advantage of my injury and focused on using my arms more while I swam. I thought and took advantage of an amoral situation. I must be more careful in everything that I do. I’m glad I learned that lesson now. Another positive thought that I had occurred last winter during my two weeks of Christmas break. Our high school’s varsity swim team had very difficult practices that made one’s body break down with fatigue; sometimes I thought I might drown in our pool. When I went four seconds slower in a one hundred at a meet, I thought, “Good, I worked hard this week, and I’ll do better when I get to rest for districts.” Others might be discouraged and find practice too difficult. That is not a good thought. Hard work is the best way to improve in a sport.

In conclusion, nothing is truly bad; just find a way to make events seem good by looking at it in a positive way. Things just happen. Optimism leads to a better mental attitude. It made me happy and still continues to do so. Everything happens for a reason. Even if it seems that something is terrible, it doesn’t have to be that way. This I believe.